“Kindness is a language that the deaf can hear and the blind can see” – Mark Twain
Wouldn’t it be great if you could tap into a flow of happiness 24/7 at no cost to yourself … Research by Sonja Lyumbomirsky shows us how. She says that 40% of our happiness can be generated by intentional activity. The focus of which she suggests, should be on cultivating relationships, philanthropy, optimism, savouring and mindfulness, physical activity, spirituality and the pursuit of personal growth goals.
Other researchers highlight similar findings. Fredrickson shows that a focus on kindness produces positive effects on our general sense of wellbeing and physical health. So adding kindness to your daily diet could boost your physical, emotional, psychological and relational health.
Kindness researcher David Hamilton points to 5 positive outcomes from a daily diet of kindness
- Happiness – on a biochemical level, kindness promotes good feelings due to the production of the brains natural opioids – endorphins, serotonin and the reward neurochemical dopamine.
- Healthier hearts – acts of kindness promote the production of the attachment hormone Oxytocin which, amongst other things, has vaso-dilating and anti-inflammatory properties that are good for reducing stress hormones and blood pressure while increasing blood flow to the body and brain.
- Slows aging – the two main culprits in aging are, free radicals and inflammation. Oxytocin (which we produce through the emotional warmth of kindness), reduces levels of free radicals and inflammation in the body.
- Better relationships – kindness reduces emotional distance, softens barriers, lowers defences, builds trust, promotes generosity of spirit – its such a great relationship tonic.
- Kindness is contagious – kindness inspires kindness and creates a spiral of human goodness towards people and the world.
Kindness is not dependent on socio-economic status or any circumstances. Everyone can find it to give. It has no cost. Its one gift that can touch a person’s soul. Every human being has the capacity to show/give kindness.
Lets aspire to change the world. Add a little kindness to your daily diet and share the meal with others.
Kindness…the gift that costs nothing…but can transform everything.